Big Red Robotics Competition Robot
As soon as the new Shopbot CNC and drill press were up and running in GCAD, seniors Jack Wragan and Andrew Zheng were the first students through the doors to use the new machine shop. Excited about improving the design of Big Red Robotics competition robot, they spent many hours designing and fabricating custom parts. Their efforts paid off when the robot won the Design Award at the 2019–2020 Jersey Shore Showdown Qualifier.
Design Award Description:
This judged award recognizes design elements of the robot that are both functional and aesthetic. The Design award is presented to teams that incorporate industrial design elements into their solution. These design elements could simplify the robot's appearance by giving it a clean look, be decorative in nature, or otherwise express the creativity of the team. The robot should be durable, efficiently deigned, and effectively address the game challenge.
Required Criteria for the Design Award:
- Team shows respect and Gracious Professionalism® to everyone they meet at a FIRST Tech Challenge event.
- Team must submit an engineering notebook with engineering content that includes robot CAD images or detailed design drawings.
- Team demonstrates industrial design principles, striking a balance between form, function, and aesthetics.
- Robot distinguishes itself from others by its aesthetics and functional design.
- Basis for the design is well considered (that is inspiration, function, etc.).